Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Trip to PHX, new sleeping arrangements, and 3 months!

Our trip to Phoenix was great! H-bear did SO well on the plane…slept through take-off and landing, and only fussed a little (when we changed her diaper). It was overcast and rainy when we arrived…perfect AZ weather!

We paid visits to all our favorite restaurants and places: In N Out Burger, Filibertos, Native New Yorker, etc. We rode the lightrail (it opened just a few days after we left last year!), visited my high school band director, went to a game night, and saw Star Trek. H-bear got through all of this very easily. I was initially worried about how she would handle all the new faces, but she seemed to enjoy all the attention so much that by the time we left, I was afraid she’d be bored going back to our old routine in Wichita!

I had also wondered how H-bear and my old dog, Duke, would react to each other. Duke gave her a little sniff the day we arrived, and didn’t pay anymore attention to her after that. H-bear never really noticed him at all. :)

Out of the five nights we spent in Phoenix, we only had to put H-bear to sleep for two of them. We definitely took advantage of the free baby-sitting to spend some evenings with our old friends. Thankfully she didn’t give my mom any trouble, and slept through all five nights without a hitch.

I guess it's kind of old news now...she's been sleeping through the night for almost a month! She figured out how to suck her thumb, and because of that, literally "overnight" she was able to sleep eight hours! Now when she wakes up in the middle of the night she can soothe herself back to sleep without me. For the record, that first night was Friday, May 8th. :)

It was great to see everyone, and seeing all of you again made us feel (more than we did before) that Wichita isn’t the place we want to live permanently. We need to be closer to friends and family, or at least a more familiar place. We’re happy in Wichita for the time being (make that: happy that D-husband has a job!), but we feel a little isolated.

So, now we’re back home. H-bear and I have fallen back into our daily routine, with one exception: she’s sleeping in her own room! So far we have had her in a bassinet next to our bed, but since she has been sleeping through the night for a few weeks now (not to mention she’s out-growing that bassinet), we figured she’s ready to make the big move. So far she’s handling it beautifully. She only had a problem one night…she stuck her foot out through the rails and couldn’t turn it to pull it back through. I felt awful! I was sure she would refuse to sleep in the crib ever again, but she seems to have forgotten the incident.

H-bear will be three months old this week! Since we don't have another doctor's appointment for a while, I took her in to be weighed: 13 lbs, 3 oz!

Here are the latest new photos:


Four generations!


Duke - I miss you!

This is the enormous box the crib came in.




Almost done...


Test drive (we did put an actual sheet on it later, I promise)

I think she likes it!

Tummy time with her new favorite toy.

Nap time

1 comment:

  1. That's great that you guys had the chance to go to Phoenix. I'm sure your family appreciates it. It must be hard being away from everyone. I love all the pictures! You sure are looking pale next to your mom. What has Wichita done to you!?

    ReplyDelete